* New wood is stacked * Ajahn Geoff visits 11/6 * Last 2018 Half-Day is 11/10 * CANCELLED: PFoD November visit *
How Much Wood Does a Woodchucker Chuck?
Plenty! Hermitage helpers were full of smiles, hard work and good company as they chucked wood at the last work parties for 2018. Many thanks to the 20 or so people who helped gather, split and stack wood. Special thanks to Holly Griswold for once again lending us her log-splitter.
These newest stacks of wood will be drying for use next winter, while this winter the monks use up the seasoned wood you helped stack in previous years. The Hermitage relies primarily on wood to heat the main house, so the monks are very grateful for your help.
November 6: Ajahn Geoff in White Salmon
Ajahn Geoff -Thanissaro Bhikkhu will lead the regular Tuesday night meditation at Yoga Samadhi, 6:30 – 8:00 PM, White Salmon, WA. He’ll also be visiting the Portland Friends of the Dhamma November 2-4. Check their website for more information about his visit.
Other November Events
NOVEMBER 10 — Half-Day of Meditation with the Monks: Join Ajahn Sudanto and Ajahn Kassapo, 1 – 5 PM at Yoga Samadhi, White Salmon, for the last 2018 half day of walking and sitting meditation. Brief dhamma talk. Cushions & chairs available.
CANCELLED: Last PFoD visit of the year has been cancelled, since Ajahn Sudanto will be away, helping lead the Abhayagiri Monastic Thanksgiving Retreat.
TUESDAY NIGHT SITS — Community Meditation continues, every Tuesday night, 6:30 – 8:00 pm, at Yoga Samadhi,White Salmon, WA. Cushions & chairs available.
Comings and Goings
- Ajahn Sudanto and Ajahn Kassapo return November 2 from the Abhayagiri Kathina and Ajahn Amaro’s Abhayagiri visit. (Venerable Suddhiko will remain at Abhayagiri.)
- Ajahn Geoff leads Tuesday night meditation in White Salmon, November 6.
- Ajahn Sudanto leaves November 14 for the Abhayagiri Thanksgiving Retreat, and will travel from there to Birken Forest Monastery for the first part of his Winter Retreat. He’ll return to the Hermitage after the meal on January 30.
- Winter Retreat begins December 1 and lasts through the end of March.
- Ajahn Kassapo will remain at the Hermitage through the Winter Retreat. He’ll be on his own* from November 14 – 28, then will be joined by Venerable Kovilo (from Abhayagiri).
*A Note About Meal Offerings to One Monk: Monastic rules do not allow one monk to be alone with women for any significant amount of time. If you’re planning to offer a meal to a single monk, you can either just drop off the food to him (you must hand it to him) or arrange to have another male with you. It is fine to offer food on alms rounds, since it is a more public setting.