As of March 11, 2022
Anumodana for Your Generosity
Offering food to the monks provides an opportunity to visit with monks and historically, this is the traditional time to visit a monastery, ask questions and consult with the monastics.
Saturday & Sunday Meal Offerings
To sign up to offer a meal, check the meal calendar and email the dana coordinator (email@example.com) to sign up for the date you’d like to visit.
Covid-19 Safety Protocols
Taking into account current conditions with the pandemic, the monastery is now open to multiple households. It is best to inform the dana coordinators of ones’ plans to offer dana on a weekend day by contacting them via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Occasionally, visitors show up on the weekends without prior arrangement and that is still okay at this time.
Regarding mask wearing at the Hermitage: All visitors are welcome to wear masks or not as they see fit. The monks will likely not be wearing masks. While the meals are still inside, the windows will be open to allow for fresh air circulation.
Please do not visit the Hermitage if in the last three days before your visit you have had any cold, flu or Covid symptoms even if you have tested negative before arriving.
Saturday and Sunday 10:15AM – 1:15PM
Upon arrival at the Hermitage grounds, proceed across the bridge and park in the upper lot.
At the Hermitage
- Please bring the meal dana fully-prepared and ready to offer. If minor reheating is necessary there is a microwave, oven and stove top available in the kitchen.
- The monks eat one meal a day, so please bring an adequate amount of food for the number of monks listed on the calendar for that day. They typically eat more than a regular person does for lunch as they are consuming all their food at one time.
- Please ensure the offerings are ready by 11:00 AM. Once the meal has been offered, the monks will chant a blessing, and then take their meal and eat separately. You are then welcome to take your meal and eat inside or outside.
- Once the monks have finished the meal and cleaned up, they are available to meet informally, either inside or outside, depending on the group’s preference.
If you have questions or would like more information about what food to bring, you can find additional details on the Meal Dana FAQ page.
Friday Restaurant Meal Offerings
To enable supporters from afar and those who are not able to physically visit the hermitage to offer their support to the monks, Friday is reserved for restaurant meal dana offerings. During alms round, the monks will pick up the order at White Salmon restaurants (specifics below).
Restaurant meal dana can be expensive for 2-3 monks, costing anywhere from $50 to over $100, so one idea is to invite friends to share in the merit and cost of the meal.
How it Works
To sign up, visit the Meal dana calendar to find an unreserved Friday, and email the dana coordinator that you would like to sponsor that day (or recurring days). Then, the day before your meal offering date:
- Check the meal calendar to determine how many monks are in residence that day, and determine which of the two restaurants below to order the meal.
- Place your order at either at the White Salmon Baking Company or Beneventi´s Pizza.
- For the White Salmon Baking Co, please call in the order to 509.281.3140, and let the restaurant know that it is for the Pacific Hermitage monks, who will pick up the meal around 8:30 AM the next day (Friday). Their hours of service are Wednesday to Sunday 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. To use their services, please call them by 2:00 pm on Thursday.
- For Beneventi´s Pizza & Sandwiches, they will deliver your order directly to the Hermitage by 10:30 am on Friday. Their hours are more flexible and they can be called up to 8:00 pm Thursday night. They can be reached at 509.493.2177. Please let them know to have the order delivered between 10:30 am and 11:00 am. They are closed on Sundays.
- A timing note: It is best to make the order with ample time before the restaurant’s closing hour in case there are any glitches. If for some reason you cannot get a hold of someone at the White Salmon Baking Co. on Thursday afternoon, you can still call in an order on Friday morning at 8:00 am. You cannot call Beneventi’s on Friday as they open at 10:30 am on Friday which is too late to place an order, so please call Beneventi’s by 7:00 pm on Thursday.
- Once you’ve ordered the meal, please email the order information or receipt to the dana coordinator (email@example.com) so the monks can present this to the restaurant in case there are any questions about the order.