As of July 5, 2021
Anumodana for Your Generosity
Offering food to the monks provides an opportunity to visit with monks and historically, this is the traditional time to visit a monastery, ask questions and consult with the monastics.
Saturday & Sunday Meal Offerings
To sign up to offer a meal, check the meal calendar and email the dana coordinator (email@example.com) to sign up for the date you’d like to visit. All are welcome! Just because there may already be a name on a particular calendar date, others are welcome to sign up too. Dates are not limited to one group (i.e., dates aren’t ‘taken’).
While you may come to offer alms food without signing up, it’s very helpful if you do make the dana coordinator aware in advance, and so that others planning to attend can have an idea of how large the group is and how much food to bring. That being said, everyone is welcome to attend, having signed up or not.
Saturday and Sunday 10:15AM – 1:30PM
Upon arrival at the Hermitage grounds, proceed across the bridge and park in the upper lot.
At the Hermitage
- Please bring the meal dana fully-prepared and ready to offer. If minor reheating is necessary there is a microwave available. Please ensure the offerings are ready by 11:00 AM.
- The monks eat one meal a day, so please bring an adequate amount of nutritious food for the number of monks listed on the calendar for that day.
- The meal is typically offered to the receiving monk or monks by 11:00 AM. Once the meal has been offered, the monks will chant a blessing, and then take their meals inside. You are then welcome to take your meal and eat outside (there are tent covers when there is inclement weather).
- Once the monks have finished the meal, they will rejoin you outside to visit, usually around noon.
If you have questions or would like more information about what food to bring, you can find additional details on the Meal Dana FAQ page.
Covid-19 Safety Protocols
Before visiting, please review all the guidelines below (they may change as conditions do). If you have been exposed to someone who has Covid-19 symptoms, please consider quarantining and reschedule your visit at least 12 days after your quarantine is finished.
With the easing of CDC requirements for Covid-19 protocols, the Hermitage no longer requires masks for anyone who is completely vaccinated.
For those not vaccinated, no masks are required outdoors (meal offerings are outdoors in the summer); but we ask that you do wear a mask if you go in the house.
Access to the kitchen for reheating of food is possible again, similar to the process pre-Covid.
For all, please wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer before handling the food.
Thanks to all for respecting these protocols, may all beings be safe and well.
Friday Restaurant Meal Offerings
To enable supporters from afar and those who are not able to physically visit the hermitage to offer their support to the monks, Friday is reserved for restaurant meal dana offerings. During alms round, the monks will pick up the order at White Salmon restaurants (specifics below).
Restaurant meal dana can be expensive for 2-3 monks, costing anywhere from $50 to over $100, so one idea is to invite friends to share in the merit and cost of the meal.
How it Works
To sign up, visit the Meal dana calendar to find an unreserved Friday, and email the dana coordinator that you would like to sponsor that day (or recurring days). Then, the day before your meal offering date:
- Check the meal calendar to determine how many monks are in residence that day, and determine which of the two restaurants below to order the meal.
- Place your order at either the North Shore Cafe or the White Salmon Baking Company. For the North Shore Cafe, their hours of service are 8:00 am – 2:00 pm daily. Please make the order on Thursday before 1:00 pm by using the following link: https://northshorecafe-108637.square.site. At the end of the order please write a note indicating that this is for the Pacific Hermitage monks for an 8:30 AM pick up on Friday. For the White Salmon Baking Co, please call in the order to 509.281.3140, and let the restaurant know that it is for the Pacific Hermitage monks, who will pick up the meal around 8:30 AM the next day. Their hours of service are from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- A timing note: It is best to make the order with ample time before the restaurant’s closing hour in case there are any glitches. If for some reason you cannot get a hold of someone at one of the restaurants on Thursday, please do not worry, you can still call them to place the order on Friday morning at 8:00 am (as a last minute back up).
- Once you’ve ordered the meal, please email the order information or receipt to the dana coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) so the monks can present this to the restaurant in case there are any questions about the order.