Oregon Public Broadcasting just published a June 8 article on the Hermitage, much of it focusing on alms round and the support of the lay community. Click here to take a look!
The photo of Ray Klebba offering alms food was taken by Bradley W. Parks/OPB, the author of the article.
November 17-25, 2018 at Mount Madonna Center in Watsonville, CA (near Santa Cruz)
Registration will be open July 1 – 31, 2018
Abhayagiri Monastery in Redwood Valley, California and the Sanghapala Foundation invite you to join Ajahn Sudanto, Ajahn Karunadhammo, Ajahn Nyaniko, Debbie Stamp and others from the Abhayagiri Community for a 9-day retreat over the Thanksgiving holiday.
We will create a monastery environment during our time together, and we offer you this opportunity to explore the Dhamma in a setting that differs somewhat from a typical meditation retreat. Because of the length of this retreat and the adherence to the Eight Precepts, you must previously have sat at least one five-day meditation retreat.
The registration period for the lay community will be July 1 – 31. Applicants are selected on a lottery basis, and will be notified of their status by mid-August.
The retreat itself will be offered solely on dana (freewill donations); there is no set fee. However, the new location is charging significantly more than the Angela Center did in past years – approximately double the cost.
June and early July will be busy with regular events, special events, monastic travels and special visitors.
Ajahn Caganando (pictured) returns to the Hermitage for a visit June 13 – 27, and Ajahn Sucitto will be visiting July 3 – 6, about the same time as the Bhante Rahula retreat. Details below.
We have two garden parties in June. See our previous post about the second one on June 23.
- JUNE 2 and JUNE 23 — Two Garden Parties at the Hermitage this June. The weeds are just waiting for you! Time: 10:30 am – 4:00 pm, but you can come for any or all of the activities. It’s a great way to practice generosity, see the Hermitage, get to know some folks and have some fun! The yard could really use some help, since there was no garden party in May.
- 10:30 am: Potluck meal (tell the meal dana coordinator if you’re coming.)
- 1 – 3 pm: Yard work and other chores
- 3 – 4 pm: Tea and chat (until 4 pm)
- JUNE 9 — Half-Day of Meditation with the monks in White Salmon, 1- 5 pm, at Yoga Samadhi. Mostly walking and sitting meditation. Brief dhamma talk. Cushions & chairs available.
- JUNE 15 & 16 — Monks at Portland Friends of the Dhamma (PFoD) Friday evening and for Saturday morning alms and meal. More information at the PFoD website.
- TUESDAY NIGHT SITS — Community Meditation, 6:30 – 8:00 pm, at Yoga Samadhi,White Salmon, WA. Cushions & chairs available.
Special Events (Late June/Early July)
- JUNE 17 — Monks at Hillsboro Meditation Hall. Click here for more information.
- 9 AM: Meditation
- 10 AM: Informal Q & A
- 11:30 AM: Meal and Sangha Dana
- 1 PM: Monks return to Hermitage
- JUNE 30 – JULY 1 — Abhayagiri Reception Hall Grand Opening at Abhayagiri Monastery, CA.
The Pacific Hermitage monks and some lay community members will travel to Abhayagiri to help them celebrate the official opening of their new cloister area Reception Hall. Honored guests include Luang Por Liem, Luang Por Viradhammo, Luang Por Jundee, Ajahn Jayasaro, Ajahn Sona and many more senior monks. Talks and meditation will happen throughout both Saturday and Sunday. Visit Abhayagiri’s website for details as they emerge.
- JULY 4-8 — Bhante Rahula Retreat near White Salmon, WA.
Retreat registration is open until June 15. Please see our previous post for more details and registration information. Questions? Please contact Mimi Maduro. Bhante will have his meal at the Hermitage July 3.
Special Visitors, Comings and Goings
- JUNE 6 – 12: Ajahn Sudanto will be away at North American Abbots gathering at Birken Monastery.
- JUNE 13 – 27: Ajahn Caganando returns for a visit to the Hermitage after the Birken gathering. Ajahn “Caga” is well-loved in this community! He lived here five years as one of the original three monks who helped establish the Hermitage.
- JUNE 28 – JULY 2: All of the monks will be away at Abhayagiri Monastery’s Reception Hall Grand Opening. Venerable Sampanno‘s visit to the Hermitage will draw to a close when he returns for the celebration. Venerable Suddhiko will return with Ajahn Sudanto and Ajahn Kassapo for a stay at the Hermitage.
- JULY 3: Bhante Rahula will be at the Hermitage for the meal.
- JULY 3 – 6: Ajahn Sucitto is a beloved and gifted teacher and writer in our tradition. Don’t miss him July 3rd, when he will lead Community Meditation at Yoga Samadhi in White Salmon, WA. He will stay at the Hermitage for a few days.
The June 23 Garden Party is double-special. It’s the second Garden Party in June and it’s also a celebration. Save the date!
In Celebration and Service
Let’s help Temira celebrate earning her Master’s of Counseling degree by joining her at the Pacific Hermitage for a potluck and/or by lending a hand with yard work.
As a regular member of the Hermitage community, Temira wanted to celebrate this big milestone at the Pacific Hermitage. The result is this special garden party celebration with community and other friends, all in service to the Hermitage and the monks.
It’s great timing — it’ll add a bit more spiffing up at the Hermitage before Ajahn Sucitto’s and Bhante Rahula’s visits in early July.
You are invited to a quiet, contemplative, service-oriented celebration complete with a potluck that’s as delicious as we can possibly make it! Please join me for a potluck meal with my monastic friends and meditation community. After the meal, you’re invited to stick around for an hour or two of volunteering (aka ‘yard work’) and socializing (aka ‘socializing’). The meal is served promptly at 11am, so please arrive no later than 10:40, earlier if you need to heat or prepare food.
The Pacific Hermitage is located just outside of White Salmon, Washington. Check out the Contact page for the address and a map.