Please Join Us on September 18 and 19
The 2021 Pah Bah (almsgiving ceremony) will go forward as planned, and will take place on September 18 and 19 at the Underwood Community Center, Underwood, WA. The event is being held completely outdoors, and strong Covid-19 precautions will be followed to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all. (NOTE: important details are included throughout this post, please read through to end).
This is a time for all the members of the Pacific Hermitage community to come together, celebrating with and supporting the Pacific Hermitage. Since the time of the Buddha, Pah Bah celebrations have offered a chance for monastics and lay people to celebrate our interdependence, with monastics offering spiritual support and lay people offering material support.
In addition to the in-person venue, the event will be livestreamed online both days. For those who wish to participate remotely, you can join the event online on the Pacific Hermitage YouTube Channel. (Watch for the links to the specific events to be posted to the channel soon.)
EVENT SCHEDULE & LOCATION
Saturday September 18
- 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm Meditation retreat
Sunday September 19
- 10:30 AM Meal Offering. All are welcome to join the potluck meal, the serving of which will have Covid-19 precautions in place. Or if you prefer, please feel free to bring your own meal with you.
- 1:00 PM Pah Bah Offering Ceremony. The Dhamma talk will be in both English and Thai.
Sanghata (the Board for the Hermitage) warmly invites you to attend this year’s Pah Bah for the Pacific Hermitage. Please join Luang Por Pasanno, Ajahn Karunadhammo, Ajahn Cunda, and visiting monks from Abhayagiri Monastery for this auspicious occasion.
COVID-19 seems to be the unrelenting teacher of uncertainty.
Venue: Please know we are taking all the necessary steps to ensure the safest Pah Bah event possible. The Pah Bah is an exclusively outdoor event, and the outdoor area is quite extensive with plenty of room to spread out. A large tent (80’X40’) with open sides will house the stage, with plenty of room to accommodate social distancing.
Meal: In addition, there will be a covered picnic area, and precautions taken in the serving of the potluck meal. Also, you are welcome to bring your own meal if you prefer.
Protocols: Success ultimately relies on all of us who attend to follow the safety protocols, which include:
- Vaccination is required for all attendees at the in-person event.
- Those who are unvaccinated are warmly invited to participate online.
- Everyone needs to wear a mask at all times, with the exception of during the meal.
- Social distancing is a must – please feel free to bring canopies, lawn chairs and blankets to help make it as comfortable for you as possible.
Please spread the word, and we hope to see you there.
With much gratitude for all your patience, generosity and kindness!
“…This is the entire holy life Ānanda, that is, good friendship, good companionship, good comradeship. When a bhikkhu has a good friend, a good companion, a good comrade, it is to be expected that he will develop and cultivate the Noble Eightfold Path.”-SN 45.2